Monday, April 12, 2010

Fiction

Last night I watched The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and it got me thinking about one of my favorite subjects; fiction. Everybody who knows me, knows that I enjoy stories of faraway places, dreamed up in the imaginations of brilliant authors. I like movies that involve imaginary worlds. I am a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Narnia series, the Golden Compass, and this Doctor Parnassus movie touched on this topic. I like them for two reasons. 1) I enjoy escaping the woes of the real world and jumping into these make believe lands and 2) I am in awe when it comes to the minds that have worked ever so hard to create these lands, with new creatures, languages, histories, customs, etc. I love writing, but I could only dream of creating pieces as epic as these. Perhaps that is why I'm drawn to history. Although the stories involved do not contain house elves, centaurs, or a magic mirror that takes into a land based upon your own imagination, I do meet new characters, languages, customs, and beliefs. History is an escape and perhaps by writing it I can recreate a land, although not purely fiction, far different than any in existence today.

As a sidenote I urge everyone to watch The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. It was a fabulous film, filled with fabulous acting, amazing scenery and costumes, and a great story line. The characters were extremely well developed and the plot was anything but predictable. And it is the last film that poor Heath Ledger was part of. If you get the chance, watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment